Wine to Warm You
- 1 Orange
- 1 Lemon
- 4 Slices fresh ginger
- 3 Inches Cinnamon stick, broken
- 8 Whole Allspice
- 8 Whole cloves
- 1 750 milliliter Bottle of Bordeaux or Beaujolais wine
- 4 cups water
- 1 12 ounce can frozen pineapple-orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Triple Sec
1. Using a vegetable peeler, cut wide strips of peel from the orange and lemon, avoiding the white pith underneath. Juice the orange and lemon.
2. For a spice bag, cut a a 6-inch square from a double thickness of 100%-cotton cheesecloth. Place lemon peel, orange peel, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves in the center of the cloth. Bring the corners together and tie closed with 100%-cotton kitchen string.
3. In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine wine, the water, juice concentrate, brandy, sugar, Triple Sec, citrus juices, and spice bag.
4. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove spice bag and discard. Garnish each serving with orange slices and/or cinnamon sticks.